Hi Grasshoppers! I’m dropping by quickly to make an announcement about my first novel, Shadows of the Hidden.
If you’ve been with me for a while, you know that Shadows has a rather long and complicated history with the publishing world. Like, if Shadows and the publishing industry saw each other at the same restaurant, I’m not entirely sure they would say hello. A subtle nod? Maybe. But it would be strained, and tension would be high.
A brief review of Shadows‘ relationship with the publishing industry:
- It’s been on three rounds of submission to editors, and while it was ALMOST bought by a major publisher back in 2010, in the end, it didn’t make it through acquisitions.
- It was self-published for a year…
- and then un-self-published…
- and then acquired by Compass Press, and now–
Well, now we get to the announcement part.
Due to the owner’s decision to pursue her career as a traditionally published author, Compass Press is closing its doors–which means Shadows is fully back in my hands.
There are pros to this, and there are also many cons. I won’t get into all of them right now, but suffice it to say, the book IS NOT GOING AWAY.
We will probably experience a couple of blips on the radar as Compass pulls all of its inventory and I re-self-publish; for example, there may be a week or two in which the book is not available for purchase anywhere. While I would like for this transition to be seamless, I can’t guarantee we won’t hit any speedbumps along the way.
In the meantime, please consider doing the following things to help out with the process:
1) If you left a review of the book ANYWHERE, back it up so that you can re-post it later! When Shadows is fully pulled from Compass, its page on Amazon will disappear. The same will happen on Barnes & Noble’s website. This means all the book’s ranking history, reviews, and comments will VAMOOSE. And that, friends, is not good news for me. I’m not sure if it will remain on Goodreads; I think it might, but you never know. Please, back up your reviews and add them to the new pages later!
2) Keep talking about the book. Word-of-mouth is THE MOST POWERFUL tool for authors. We savor every kind review, every favorable word, every recommendation you give to someone else. It is the number one way we are able to continue writing. Without you, our work will die–plain and simple. If you love Shadows, tell people. Buy it for them. Ask your local library to stock it. I promise, it will help!
That’s it! Never a dull moment, eh? As far as I can tell, the book is still available on Amazon–but I don’t know how long that will last. Thanks for sticking around, and remember–only 302 days until Pull can be in your hands! I love you all!