The BIG Announcement!

Well, Grasshoppers, this is it. The day I’ve been teasing you about for two solid weeks. All the details are in place, the contract is signed, and the announcement has been sent to Publisher’s Marketplace.

But more than that, it’s the day I’ve been waiting for since August 2008, when I decided to become a published author. That’s almost four years.

Four years.

I’ve been through a lot in those four years. I completed my first novel. I snagged myself a wonderful agent who stuck with me through three grueling rounds of submissions–and who encouraged me to self-publish my work because she believed in it.

I lost that same agent through circumstances beyond both of our control.

Oh, Agent Alanna, how I miss you.

In those same four years, I wrote a second book that ended up not being worth submitting. I wrote a third book that has been read–is being read–by dozens of agents. I’m over halfway through a fourth book that I can’t wait to finish. I’ve started a fifth book. And I have several ideas for more.

At some points in this journey, I’ve wanted to give up. The process felt too hard, the goal too out of my reach, the odds of success too low.

And yet, here I am, making an announcement I never thought I’d get to make.

Holy cow. I can’t believe I’m about to say this. In fact, I don’t really know how to say it, so I’m going to let Publishers Marketplace do it for me:

*          *          *

Children’s: Young Adult
Anne Riley’s SHADOWS OF THE HIDDEN, in which a teenage girl discovers the true reason behind her parents’ disappearances and finds herself at the center of a centuries-old quest for immortality, to Elle Horne of Compass Press, in a nice deal, for publication in December 2012 (US).

*          *          *

Wow. That looks surprisingly like a BOOK DEAL ANNOUNCEMENT, doesn’t it?

THAT’S BECAUSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t have a subscription to PM, but my publisher (!!!) was kind enough to send me the above announcement so I could include it in this blog post. It may look slightly different on the website, but that’s the gist of it!

NOW. Some of you may be thinking, “Hey, that storyline sounds a lot like THE CLEARING.”

That’s because it is.

SHADOWS OF THE HIDDEN is the new title for a revised and revamped version of my previously self-published novel, THE CLEARING, that has been acquired for publication by Compass Press!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“What will be different about this version, Anne?” you ask.

Several things. First of all, the writing will be representative of Present Day Anne as opposed to Four Years Ago Anne. And that right there is a BIG FAT DIFFERENCE.

I’m also adding a few new scenes, deleting scenes that didn’t contribute enough to the story, fleshing out my characters a bit more, and adding a little more mystery to the whole thing. Basically I am making it MOAR BETTER.

As Compass states in their acquisition announcement today, we will be “enhancing the story, not altering it beyond recognition.”

Signing my contract before work this morning, wet hair and all. And judging by my slightly open mouth, I also seem to be in the middle of a sentence. Clearly my life is nothing but glamour.

And now, dear friends, there are a few things I’d like to say.

First of all, I hope this announcement encourages you. If it can happen for me, it can happen for anyone. Keep working, keep dreaming, and know that IT IS POSSIBLE, regardless of what the naysayers may tell you.

Secondly–and this is where things get a little bit Academy Awards–I have some people to thank.

• My first agent, Alanna Ramirez, for believing in me enough to take me on as a client and to fight tooth and nail for my work. You are amazing and I miss you.
  • Everyone who ever read one of my manuscripts. Guys, the only way to get better is to let people critique your work, and dozens of you have done that for me. I am indebted to you beyond reason.
  • Every single person who bought THE CLEARING. I mean, for real, you spent your hard-earned money on my story, and I am so honored by that.
  • Heather McCorkle at Compass Press, who, a couple months ago, sent me an email that said, “Hey, remember that book you wrote? I’d like to talk about doing something with it.” You are making all my dreams come true. Thanks to you and to everyone at Compass!
  • You, my blog readers, whose comments make my day and who stick with me through all the ups and downs. You guys ROCK.
  • My entire family, but especially my husband Rob, who watches the toddler for entire afternoons at a time so that I can go write.
  • The online writing community. I mean, really. Is there a more supportive group of folks out there? I would suggest that there is not.
  • God, who gave me the kind of imagination that can build new worlds out of nothing. Thank you for making me just eccentric enough to be creative.

And, well, I guess that’s it for now. I’m sort of in a fog of happiness mixed with mild panic, and although I know there’s more I need to say, I can’t think of it at the moment.

This is HAPPENING, people. December 2012. And I’m so glad you’re along for the ride!

72 thoughts on “The BIG Announcement!

1. Jodi says:

Glorious!!! I’m so very, very happy for you, Anne. I know this is a dream come true for you. Anyone who has ever read ANYTHING you’ve written knew it was only a matter of time. I’m just thankful it’s come sooner rather than later. Much love to you!!

2. Jmbrown1955 says:

Way to go girl! I can now brag about knowing a multi-published author making me a hit at all the coattail parties that I attend with the rich and famous.

3. Megan says:

Congrats, Anne! So excited for you and can’t wait to read your book when it comes out!

4. Grace Davis says:

I am SO excited for you! I have been watching your journey online but haven’t commented…I totally should’ve before now…and I am so very proud of you. Most people have ideas or dreams and don’t follow through. It is so encouraging to have watched you attain one of your dreams! Kudos!

5. Ansley says:

Anne……I am SO proud of you. I can only think that Compass Press is making an amazing move to “acquire” you and the reading community will benefit by having FOUR YEARS LATER ANNE at the wheel. I loved it the first time around and I can’t wait until the first edition of THE CLEARING is worth a million dollars because it’s the first and only 🙂

We shall celebrate. With cupcakes!

When does school end?

Yay! Thanks dearest! And yes, the cupcakes, THEY WILL HAPPEN. School is over on Thursday.

6. Anna Duffey says:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! I can’t wait to read the new version! Congrats Anne!

Side Note: I think you’re ridiculously amazing. Between a husband, a toddler, teaching, and a new baby on the way.. I seriously don’t know how you do it. However you’re doing it — good.freaking.job.

Oh, my. Well thank you dear, although I think you’re making me out to be more than I am 🙂

7. Lynne Whitehurst says:

Congratulations Anne. I really enjoyed The Clearing the first time around, will be interesting to see the changes. All the best to you going foward. I am sure you will find all the success you have obviously worked hard for!

8. Jen Stayrook says:

Anne, oh, ANNE! This is fabulous news! I am so unbelievably happy for you! WOOOT! I can’t wait to put SHADOWS OF THE HIDDEN on my bookshelf next to THE CLEARING. 🙂

Thanks Laurel! I hope it is encouraging to everyone. Good heavens, if I can do it, anyone can.

9. Trisha Leigh says:

Congrats, Anne! I’m so pleased that things have turned out well for you and The Clearing (Shadows of the Hidden). I can’t wait to read it again!!

10. Simon says:

Congrats, Anne! And congratulations to Heather, too. Cheers!

(I shall toast you properly later on, when I’m not at work. You know how it is….)

😀

11. Talei Loto says:

Congrats Anne! That is truly fabulous. What a journey, four years and so many changes. I’m so happy for you! And, it gives me lots of inspiration for my journey too. Well done!!

12. starr parnell says:

On Anne! Praise the Lord! I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait to buy it!!!! After I read it, it will go on my bookshelf right next to my original cover, author signed “The Clearing”! 😀

13. Shane says:

I’m pumped for you Anne… This is encouraging to see someone keep pushing til they break through!

14. Rebecca Berto says:

I’m not saying you’ll be a predictable author, however, I sooo saw something amazing like this coming. But this? This is wonderful!! I’m so happy you found a publisher to improve your novel, the old, THE CLEARING. I know you said you lost faith in it so this is a fantastic opportunity for you, being able to have guidance on editing it. I look forward to BUYING your new novel.

15. Kristen Horne says:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! I will definitely be buying it! I’m so excited for you!

16. Amy says:

Anne, I’m so proud of you! Reading your blog has been nothing short of inspiration. I can’t wait to have the chance to spend my money on “Shadows of the Hidden” when it comes out!

17. Mercedes says:

OH MY GOODNESS, HOORAY!!!! You know how much I loved The Clearing, and I can’t wait to see it back and even better than ever! Congratulations! 😀

18. Melissa says:

Anne!!! This is so exciting, but I have to say, not a surprise! You are such a talented author and it was only a matter of time! I can’t wait to get my copy of The Clearing autographed so that one day I can tell people in a really snobby voice that, “I knew her when…” 🙂 Lots of love and can’t wait for December!

19. Krissi Dallas says:

SO SUPER COOL!!!! I can’t wait to read the new version – so proud of you for NOT giving up and for being one of my favorite writers! (That’s not lip service – you rock!) 🙂

20. Daddy says:

Now that the first round of congrats has passed, let me add my name to the people who never doubted you for an instant. I’ve known you would be a published writer since you were five years old. Yep, I still have your first story.