Mom’s Night In

Y’all, last night was a first.

I was at home.

BY MYSELF.

All. Night. Long.

I KNOW. Can you even imagine?

Well, if you live by yourself, you can probably imagine. Or if your roommate is never home. Or if your significant other is out of town a lot and you don’t have any kids. Or maybe you have kids, but they are mimes.

None of those apply to me, though, so I COULD NOT IMAGINE.

Before I go any further, let me make one thing staggeringly clear: I *love* my family. I love being at home in the evenings with Rob and Baby Girl. I love it when we all go to our local Mexican restaurant together. I love it when we have people over and it’s loud and crazy and fun.

But oh my gosh, y’all, I have not been alone in almost four years. And last night, Rob was in Hotlanta (that’s what we southerners call Atlanta when we’re trying to be funny; see also: Nashvegas) and Baby Girl was with her grandparents.

So what does a mom do when she gets a night all to herself?

I kicked the party off with a crazy late-afternoon trip to the library’s DVD section. I wanted a chick flick, something completely predictable and snortworthy, and I was not about to pay for it. I also wanted something I’d never seen before. And the movie I selected was . . .

And can I just say that I liked it SO much more than I expected? Granted, my expectations were IN THE BASEMENT, but still. It is about IRELAND and there is lots of GREEN and also AMY ADAMS (who is mildly lame in this movie, but whatever, she’s adorable) and also, the guy who plays Declan?

Yes. *clears throat* He is also adorable.

As the movie played, I gave myself yet another manicure. I know, WILL WONDERS NEVER CEASE? And this time I went WAY out on a limb.

That, my friends, is bright purple nail polish. I have not had purple nails since I was thirteen years old. It is just as awesome as I remember.

(In case you, too, would like to have bright purple nails [and really, who wouldn’t?] the brand of polish is Confetti and the color is Centerstage. It was $1.99 at CVS. I also bought a bright sparkly green one by the same company called My Favorite Martian. I’m going to use it for St. Patrick’s Day.)

My dinner was frozen pizza and peanut butter M&Ms. I also ate half a can of cheddar cheese Pringles.

IT WAS A DREAM, PEOPLE.

But, in all seriousness, I did miss The Fam, and I am very much looking forward to being with them tonight.

What do you do when you get a night to yourself? Please tell, because I need some ideas for next time!

25 thoughts on “Mom’s Night In

1. Jessica says:

I heart you! I still haven’t had a night where I’m all alone. I’ve been without JD for a night and without Little Man for a night but not without both for a whole entire night. I CANNOT IMAGINE! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself! I would probably marathon a show I love, rent new movies, or read. OR maybe I would get really wild and do all three in one night! Who knows. Love the purple by the way! My first color last month was lavender and two days ago I bought a bright turquoise. I’m planning to paint them tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, my hair is currently up in a shower cap full of foils! Something new is coming!

I totally thought about pulling up Downton Abbey on Hulu because I have not seen it yet! I might do that next time. I can’t wait to see your hair!

1. Jessica says:

I’m so happy with the way it turned out. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, I’m seriously in love with Downton Abbey! Watch it soon!

2. Glass_Half_Full_Gal says:

I love evenings when I don’t have to be accountable to anyone. When the kids were younger those few hours on a rare occasion were glorious. Now, if Hubby is out with plans, the kids are happily getting along (in another room), and I have my LT and the remote to myself? Sheer pleasure. ๐Ÿ˜€

And, I love to break out of the box with nail color. I spent enough years dressing the part when I had my legal business – Mama goin’ on 40 is out of the box. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I’m not writing or doing something productive, this is what I do:

(And this is top secret. It is that awesome. Which is why I’m posting it on the internet. To make sure it stays top secret.)

I get out my guitar and I play EVERY Taylor Swift song I know. And I sing. VERY LOUDLY. It may or may not be on-key. And then I learn more Taylor songs.

And then I torture my cat by making her chase the laser pointer dot.

4. Red Angel says:

Hi there, new reader here! ๐Ÿ™‚ Your blog is awesome and I’m looking forward to following you through your adventures.

I’ve never seen Leap Year but I’ve heard it’s really good! I absolutely love Amy Adams. I wish it was streaming on Netflix! I think it’s so great that you were able to have a night to yourself and do things you enjoyed or simply for the fun of it. Love those nails!

When I have a night to myself, I usually also watch a movie, journal about my day, eat a lot of food (hehe) and dress up for fun!

Hey there! So glad you stopped by! Yeah, you should watch Leap Year. I had to watch it again last night!

5. Jessica Love says:

I’m all alone right now while the husband is at a work dinner and the dog is hiding from me under the bed because he has a cut that he won’t let me clean. I still haven’t changed out of my gym clothes and I’m catching up on my blog comments. Not very glamorous tonight.

Love that purple!

6. Melissa says:

I usually catch up on all the TV shows my husband hates to watch (see: One Tree Hill, White Collar and Once Upon a Time, among others). I also take advantage of the fact that I can eat WHATEVER I WANT for dinner. It tends to be some kind of fast food like Chik-fil-a or something equally terrible for me, but delicious. It’s glorious!

I was THISCLOSE to getting Taco Bell for dinner. Seriously. Fast food feels like such a luxury sometimes!

7. Carolina Valdez Miller says:

I am crazy envious of you right now. I haven’t had my nails painted in ages. Last Halloween, I think. Mom’s night in with Pringles and frozen pizza? Perfection. Also, I cried watching Leap Year. It made me long for Ireland. I know, I’m a sap. The movie itself was cute.

I cried too, but not till I watched the deleted scenes. There is one where her dad says something about, one moment you’re watching your baby girl take her first steps, the next moment you’re at her engagement party.

LOST IT.

8. Jodi says:

There are no words to express my jealousy. And while I know there are million old ladies out there ready to tell me that someday I’ll miss all this…right now being quiet and watching a chick flick sounds incredible.

9. Guinevere says:

I secretly love when my husband goes out with his friends and I have a night to myself. Or maybe not so secretly. Whatever.

My usual routine includes a good YA novel + a Lush bath bomb. I can’t say I’m really alone for this, because the cat usually comes in to stare at me with concern (‘Did you know you’re in the water? Water is bad!’ is what he’s trying to convey, I think). Ordering in + a chick flick or reality shows he hates are usually a win, too. I love spending time with him, but man, it’s nice to have a whole house to myself every now and then!