A Belated 2011 VLOG, Plus A Shifty Look At 2012

I made a video about my 2011, then spent the past 24 hours trying to get it on YouTube. After letting it upload all night, I awoke this morning to find that it was 49% done.

*facepalm*

So anyway, I finally managed to upload it straight from my phone. The quality was sacrificed a bit, but after all that, I couldn’t NOT upload it.

Here it is, my 2011 Year In Review Vlog.

Okay. Yay.

Now here’s the part where I tell you I don’t really believe in resolutions because they are unrealistic and just set you up for failure, etc. and so on.

Except that I do believe in them. I think it’s good to examine your life and identify what needs to change, as long as the resolutions you make are actually within your power and not something like “Get published,” which is sort of in your power, but mostly it’s in everyone else’s.

So here are my goals and resolutions for 2012.  Some of them are pretty intense goals, others are just little things. But they are all important to me.

1) Stop feeling guilty about not clipping coupons. In my experience, you have to devote a looootttt of time to it in order to make the savings worthwhile, and frankly, I have too many other things that are way more important. Like my family. And writing. And I’ve never saved more than about $5.00 at the store using coupons. I’ll pay $5.00 to NOT have to clip coupons. So: No More Guilt.

2) Finish Creepy Faces Book and have it to the first round of Betas  by May 1. I originally thought I could have it to them by March 18, but that doesn’t leave enough time for revisions, so I’ve changed it to May 1. I might finish sooner. I might not. But now, there’s no pressure.

4) Read more. It is so true: reading feeds your creative mind. I don’t do enough of it. Last week I bought DARK INSIDE and THE NAME OF THE STAR. I cannot wait to dive in.

5) Make exercise and writing priorities. Here’s the thing: As much as I don’t enjoy working out, it does give me energy, and I need that energy to write. So even if it’s just taking a 30-minute walk (which I did this morning), I need to do something active every day. Otherwise I won’t have the fuel I need to accomplish Resolution #2. Cuz, y’know, I have a few other things going on that require my energy. I need all the help I can get.

Okay, so what about you? Anything specific you plan to accomplish this year?

10 thoughts on “A Belated 2011 VLOG, Plus A Shifty Look At 2012

1. Amy says:

Let us know how The Name of the Star is! I want to read it after I get through the books on my list now!

2. Dean from Australia says:

Great, great video Annie. I loved your recap and strangely, I remember a good number of the events you ran through during the video – way cool.

I have but one goal in mind for this year – “Gifts Of The Peramangk”. I’ve labored and slaved over this damned manuscript for a year now, writing most of it at 2 in the morning in a quiet ICU and it is taking too long. I plan to get out of my comfort zone and write in different places in order to get it finished.

I have my version 1 copy of The Clearing proudly displayed on my book shelf in my important books section. I’m looking forward to adding your next title to it.

3. Elle Strauss says:

I’m loving watching you on your journey. Thanks for being so open and sharing. So cool about the twitter thing!

4. Ansley says:

“3) Stop following people online who stress me out. I just need to step away from a few people this year on Twitter and Facebook and blogs. It’s not that they are bad people, but the complaining / name-dropping / self-glorification / self-promotion is exhausting sometimes, you know? And I just need to let go. So I’m not going to follow those people anymore, and I’m not going to read their blogs.”

I love how you TOTALLY name-dropped Baby Girl (who is almost not a baby anymore, sniff sniff)…classic, Senora Riley, classic.

Also, your hair looks AMAZING! I love the side-sweepy bangs and the slight wave/curl thing you’ve got going on. Kudos.

As soon as I’m better, I want to see you…I’d also still like to observe one day. I’m about to start student teaching but if I can squeeze in a day and take notes, that would be stellar.

Yeah girl, just let me know! Anytime! Alas, I have accepted the curls. They have become too strong to fight.

5. Jen Stayrook says:

“Stop following people online who stress me out” — THIS. Especially on Facebook.

Also? Not BE that person who seems incredibly stressed out on social media outlets. Count to ten before I hit send on Twitter. “Do I really need to tweet that about my road rage, AGAIN?”

Loved the vlog recap. I vote more vlogs.