Stuff I’m Digging Right Now

I had a big, long blog post all ready for you tonight. Then I read back over it and thought, “Nope.”

It was lame, friends. A big, fat lame-o blog post that nobody would like. So I deleted it, and here we are.

*crickets*

Anyway.

Instead of the Century’s Lamest Blog Post, I thought I’d share some things I’m enjoying right now, and then in the comments you can do the same. Sound good? Awesome. Here we go.

1) The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab. It’s a hauntingly beautiful YA book about a village called Near and–you guessed it–a legendary witch. The writing is gorgeous, the storyline enchanting.

Also? Victoria is THE SWEETEST PERSON ALIVE. She answers all of my emails and tweets. If you’re wondering how much, exactly, I cyber-stalk her, the answer is A LOT because SHE IS THE SWEETEST PERSON ALIVE.

Bonus: She has a blog.

2) Mexican chicken packets.

“Huh?” you say, and rightly so, because what in the world is a chicken packet? Sounds like something you would eat on a camping trip. And in fact, you could–but you can also cook a delicious dinner in practically no time at all. And “No Time At All” is my favorite cooking time frame.

Here’s how you do it:

• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Tear off a piece of aluminum foil about 8-10 inches wide.
  • Place a raw chicken breast in the center. Salt and pepper both sides.
  • Drain a can of black beans and spoon half the can onto the chicken breast. Sprinkle with cumin and chili powder–more is usually better.
  • Add a few tablespoons of salsa on top.
  • Wrap the whole thing up into a packet.
  • Bake for 40-50 minutes, then take it out and add cheese, sour cream, etc. to the top.
  • DONE. BOOYAH.

The really cool part? ENDLESS variations. You can do an Italian chicken packet (olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, marinara, and pasta cooked separately), a Greek chicken packet (black olives, salt & pepper, feta, rice), and . . . well, I can’t think of any others at the moment, but y’all are more creative than me anyway. You’ll come up with some good ones.

3) These authors on Twitter:

What about you? What are you digging these days?

15 thoughts on “Stuff I’m Digging Right Now

1. ansley says:

I’m digging:
    – The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
    – the end drawing ever closer to this hellish semester
    – an amazing rec letter from one of my profs
    – new L’Occitane foaming face wash
    – the squirrels that live in the attic and scamper about at ungodly hours and keep me awake (oh…wait…..I hate that….never mind…..)

1. ansley says:

I bought it, so you can borrow it. After Mom finishes it, that is.

Now I’m reading a bio on Catherine the Great and MRS. PEREGRINE’S SCHOOL FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN. Spooky and quirky and I love the photographs included….definite YES in my book thus far!

2. Amanda J says:

Hehe. I LOVED Victoria’s book. SO GOOD. And it had to be, because she’s awesome. Glad you’re enjoying it! I am actually not in the middle of anything right now other than writing a new MS, but yea, had to share the V. Schwab love. 🙂

3. Dana Elmendorf says:

“No Time At All” is my new recipe requirement. Love it. What I’m digging right now, this vampire romance smut series I’m reading (by JR Ward.) It’s embarrassing but my guilty pleasure.

And I know it is not common for a commenter to address another commenter in a blog that is not their own, but I have to say to Ansley – RUN! RUN FOR THE HILLS! RUN LIKE FOREST, BUT JUST RUN! When I was in high school, Dec. 3, 1989, my senior year. Those cute little squirrels in the attic ATTACKED ME! TWICE IN ONE NIGHT! The little critter chewed a hole in my closet sheetrock and attacked me in my room. And when my parents refused to let their 16yo daughter sleep in the bed with them because of “bad dreams” I slept in the guest room just outside their room upstairs. After the second attack only an hour later, and my screaming bloody murder (which my mother swore she thought someone was murdering me) they saw the beast SCAMPERING ACROSS THE GRASSCLOTH WALLS! That was the one and only night I ever slept with my parents as a teen.

That’s all. Thank you Anne for letting me hijack your blog. Muah! 😀

1. ansley says:

I’m telling you, the tree rats have invaded fully. They haven’t made their way INTO my room, but I can pretty much guarantee you that, if they do, Anne and Rob will have someone on their couch! Muahahahaha!

P.S. Anne, I critiqued one of Mrs. Garrison’s old tests for a project and I feel SO bad, like I critiqued an MLK speech or something….I was going to ask you for one, but then I figured I wouldn’t understand it. Oh well.

Hmmm. You might be able to use a Spanish 2 one. I don’t put their directions in Spanish until Spanish 3.