Facebook, Shmacebook

Here’s the deal. I love Facebook. Really, I do. And I will probably be on it until the day I die.

But.

I have heard some pretty scary stories lately about stalkers. You know how it goes: Somebody sends you a friend request. You can’t place them, but you figure you met them somewhere and you don’t want to be rude, so you confirm. They start seeing pictures of your family, they figure out where you work, and before you know it, they’re calling up your kid’s birthday party venue to cancel the party . . . just because.

True story. (Not my true story, you understand. Someone else’s.)

So, even though I HATE IT, I have set up a fan page on Facebook.

(Just saying the words “fan page” makes me want to punch myself in the face.)

And what I’ll be doing this week is transferring Facebook friends I don’t know in real life from my personal page to my fan page.

OH, IT HURTS. I seriously hate to do this, guys. And I do NOT think any of you are stalkers. It’s just that, you know . . . it only takes one loon to ruin the whole pond.

Or something like that.

Now, there are a few of you that I’ve never met in real life, but I’ve gotten to know extremely well through the internet over the course of, say, three or more years. For these people, I will make an exception.

PLEASE DON’T GET YOUR FEELINGS HURT IF YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.

Yes, this is totally lame. I know. Just bear with me.

If you’d like to beat me to the punch, you can go ahead and “like” (ugh) my page here. Please stay connected with me; I don’t want to lose any of you. You’re so funny. And pretty.

While you’re at it, The Clearing is on Facebook as well. You can find it here. Just to underline Facebook’s lameness, I had to remove like 35 of The Clearing‘s fans just so I could tweak the name of the page. Convenient, right? So you might wanna check and make sure you still “like” it. And if you never “liked” it in the first place, why, now’s a great time to do so.

Those last two sentences actually made me hurt inside. Why is Facebook so weird, yet so necessary?

It is a DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD, I tell you.

Alright. That’s all. Thank you for putting up with me!

17 thoughts on “Facebook, Shmacebook

1. Harley says:

I don’t think this is bad at all, Anne. You NEVER KNOW who exactly you are dealing with on the internet.

It is good to be cautious with your online presence and how much people know about who you are/where you are.

Please don’t punch yourself in the face. That would hurt and give you a bruise. You’d most likely break your hand, too. All those things sound bad.

Yes, they do sound bad. I tried to punch myself, but chickened out at the last second, so it turned into more of a dead-fish finger-graze.

Not what I was going for.

2. Rhonda Cowsert says:

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all – even though we’ve never officially met and I COULD be a stalker…if I wasn’t so constitutionally opposed to, you know, getting out there and actually doing the work of being a stalker. So..yeah, I hopped over and “became a fan” – although now THAT sounds stalkery.

Just going to back out of the blog now, nice and slow, in a “non-stalking’ sort of way…

It does seem to take an awful lot of effort to stalk someone, doesn’t it? Lots of crouching, which I imagine would result in sore thighs, and a good bit of ducking, which is sure to give one back problems down the road. People should just lay off the stalking. It’s bad for their health.

3. Melissa Garrett says:

I completely agree with Harley and Rhonda, and having a Fan page is not at all bad. I have one, and I probably don’t even deserve one. LOL! (I’ve wondered before why you didn’t have one.)

I’m always a little weirded out when one of my Fans requests access to my personal FB account, but I never confirm becaue I don’t know that person. I don’t want strangers (who are probably harmless) looking at pictures of my kids or being privy to all the behind-the-scenes stuff going on in my life.

I know, it’s like, 99% of them are harmless and just interested in us as people, which is AWESOME. But there is going to be that one psychopath that tries to actually find me, and that’s where things might get a little weird.

4. Hannah Kincade says:

I set up a FB page for my pseudonym a while back. I completely agree that you should be very careful who you accept as a friend on FB. I’ve cut my list down on my personal account considerably because of that. No shame or blame in it!

Thanks Hannah – the more I think about it, the more I think I should have done this a long time ago. Oh well, better just do it now, right?

5. Elle Strauss says:

I wonder if Google + will be the answer to all these kinds of problems. I’ve not tried it myself, but all the beta users I’ve heard giving feed back are loving it.

I accepted my invitation but haven’t done anything with it yet. To be honest I’m not sure I can stomach another social network in my life. Know what I’m saying?

6. Starr Parnell says:

Anne, your posts always crack me up! I just love how i feel like i’m sitting down with you listening to you tell me your thoughs ~ I agree with you and everyone else who has commented, no shame in a fan page! 🙂

7. ansley says:

What about the people you know but still want to stalk you? I mean, you do have a giggly, bouncy little bit and a hubby that bears a striking resemblance to Matt Damon and who wouldn’t want to stalk that?!

Not that I would….I mean…..I’m still working on Mike Rowe.