Operation Hotmother

Don’t forget: I’m giving away one book per week this summer! This week’s book is GUANTANAMO BOY. Winner announced Saturday. Click here to enter!

*          *          *

The other day, my husband and I were talking about my upcoming 10-year high school reunion. It’s scheduled for October. He thinks it’s hilarious – mostly because he’s three years younger than me and constantly reminds me of this fact by saying things like, “Hey, when you turn 30, I’ll only be 27!” or, “Hey, when you turn 40, I’ll only be 37!” or, “Hey…” well, you get the idea.

Here’s how our conversation about the high school reunion went:

Rob: Hey, have you registered for the reunion yet?

Me: Nah.

Rob: Are you going to?

Me: I think so.

Rob: You think so? Why wouldn’t you?

Me: I don’t know. It seems like a lot of trouble. And it costs money. And I would have to look nice, and be outgoing, and repeat myself over and over.

Rob: But you could see everybody again!

Me: I already keep up with most of the people I would really want to see. Plus, you know I hate small talk.

Rob: You should go. I want to go. Let’s go.

Me: Sure, you want to go because you have a job in the grown-up world. I graduated from high school, went to college, and got a job at a high school. It feels like I never left. Why would I want to go to a reunion? Isn’t there enough high school in my life already?

Rob: You’re going. You need to go. We’re going together, and we’re gonna have fun.

Me: Fine. But dang it, if I’m going to this thing, I’m going to look HOT. Operation Hotmother is in effect!

So there you have it. My mission, should I choose to accept it (and I suppose I’ve accepted it by default since I created it and all) is to look awesomely hot for my reunion. Now, for a girl who had a baby six months ago, I don’t look too shabby. The consistency of my abdominal area has…um…changed, to say the least. But all in all, it’s not too much of a train wreck over here.

I would like to drop about seven pounds by October. So I’m putting it up here for the world to see because, as my husband will tell you, I’m not good at working out. I hate gyms and I hate running and I hate lifting weights…

…but I love ice cream and I love cupcakes and I love brownies and I love carbs.

Are you starting to see where the problems could arise?

So here are my stats. I’m not embarrassed by weight, so I don’t care about posting it here. I’m 5’10”, and I weighed in at 162.5 this morning. I’d like to weigh 155. This should be doable, to say the least.

My plan of action:

• Do not sign up for any more 5Ks since I purposefully turned my alarm off the night before the last one
  • Do some sort of exercise every day, even if it’s only for five minutes
  • Take a picture of everything I eat with my phone (this is in lieu of a food journal, which I am incapable of keeping)
  • DO NOT diet or deprive myself of all sugar and carbs because this is a one-way ticket to a low-bloodsugar-induced-meltdown
  • Allow myself one small treat per day (today’s treat was a cup of Cinnamon Toast Crunch)

So there you have it. This should be pretty simple.

Operation Hotmother starts NOW!

30 thoughts on “Operation Hotmother

1. Harley says:

YOU GO, HOT MAMA! Dieting is so hard. You can do it and I can say that you look AWESOME EXACTLY AS YOU ARE.

We will be at that reunion together! We can hold each other if it gets too scary.

I gave myself the same arguements you gave Rob, but talked myself into it.

If you don’t go, you’ll never have another 10 year reunion again. You might have fun, or it might be lame. If you don’t go, you won’t know.

I’m tempted to say, “And knowing is half the battle!” here, but I won’t.

YES!! If by “work out,” you mean, “eat cupcakes.” Oh, wait a second – I’m supposed to be avoiding that!

2. Jamey Stegmaier says:

I’m already a big fan of Operation Hotmother. Please, please write a screenplay with that as the title.

I will say, though, that I think your reasons for not wanting to go to the reunion are actually quite valid. Maybe your reunion will be different than mine, but it really is mostly smalltalk, some drinking, and some figuring out who some of the people are. Like you, I stay in touch with the people I really want to stay in touch with. When the 20th reunion rolls around, I’ll skip Operation Hotbuns and stay at home with my lovely future wife, our precocious future kids, and our trusty dog/cat hybrid (it’s the future. Anything’s possible.)

Oooh, maybe I should have named it Operation Hotbuns. That sounds better. And your dog/cat hybrid will have to come visit my hamster/parrot hybrid.

I don’t, but I like going for walks! Gives me time to hash out tough plot points! Except it’s like a bajillion degrees outside…

I have the perfect solution for you, manufactured by a college student (as only a college student living on easy mac could manufacture). Only buy food you HATE cooking. (For me that’s anything that requires more than 3 ingredients and more than 5 minutes of assembly). That way, when it comes time to eat, you’ll look at the food you really don’t want to cook and just say “oh forget it” and eat an apple or a salad or something rather than bothering with actually preparing a meal! 😉 Fool proof, I tell you!

Seriously, though, you should go to your reunion because I think you’re pretty hot already and if nothing else you should go and show everyone that your life is actually working out pretty well!

LOL great plan! Haha! The good thing is I’m already one step ahead of you – I don’t have time to cook now because of the baby! So we buy food that is frozen, which is mostly veggies, and eat whatever we can warm up! Problem is when my MIL keeps Maggie I go get milkshakes, etc. Haha!

4. heather says:

ok so you are going to start something here.. I want in on operation hot mama. I must say though after 4 kids in 5 years my wieght is not even close to a short term resolution. I will try your idea of photo food journal. And goal of 50 pounds lost by September. Should be easy weighing in at 223 also not asshamed of it, not proud but i am who I am take it or leave it. Then a new goal to follow. Over all goal weight of 145..

Whoooo! 4 kids in 5 years honey, you are doing good I think! Man that is tough! Alright Heather, we are doing this!

5. Jess Tudor says:

I didn’t realize how tall you are, Anne! You’re definitely at a healthy weight already, but good luck with those last few pounds. They can make all the difference as far as confidence goes. 🙂

(My trick for losing 15lbs in two months was to cut meat and dairy out of my life. But I’m lactose intolerant and it was a lifestyle choice for me.)

Heather – there are only about twelve weeks between now and September 1, and you should aim to lose 1-2 lbs a week. A more reasonable goal would be 20 lbs. Weight loss isn’t a race, and you can do more harm than good trying to forcefully drop pounds.

1. heather says:

Thanks Jess Yeah I just realized how short of a time it is. Deffinately changing that goal. Although when I go to the gym like I should I tend to drop 5 to 8 a week. I have slacked a lot recently but since July of last year I have lost 97 pounds. New goal 25 pounds.

Yeah, I am a tall one, so I’m good anywhere between 145 and 165, technically speaking. But 162.5 is on the heavy end of that, and I’d like my clothes to fit better. That’s all it is, really.

6. ansley says:

I don’t think I’m going to the reunion. I kinda feel the same way….plus, I was only in the class for 3 years……meh, I dunno….

I can see how you might feel weird, but I think you should go! I’ll be there. Mary will be there. Kristen W. is going. COME WITH!

7. Alicia says:

I’m planning on going too. Not sure if I’m excited or not. But I do understand the drive to lose those last few pounds. I really only want to lose 5 and have been struggling with it so much over the last few months. Of course, those cookies, brownies and cupcakes I’ve been noshing haven’t helped.

I wish all I had to do was throw in some exercise and quirky diet tips (you know, besides cutting out all sweets completely). But I love to exercise, I don’t snack and I don’t drink soft drinks or coffee or sweet tea. So all those “cut out something simple” tricks just don’t work for me. But, alas, if it were easy, everyone would look like a swimsuit model.

But good luck on your mission. And even if the conversation is lacking and the whole thing is boring, it will at least be nice to see some old friends in person!

You’re right, it will be nice. I think I’ll enjoy it more than I expect to, honestly. I’m just always apprehensive about things like this!

8. laura says:

ok, first of all, last time i saw you (which was in march which was only 3 months after you had your baby) your stomach was as flat as it has always been. flatter than mine…and i have never carried a child. second, your exercise routine can be watching my toddlers for approximately one hour every day. that should do it. although, it hasn’t done it for me other than giving me an excuse not to exercise because “i exercise all day long, every day.” thirdly, YOUR TEN YEAR REUNION IS COMING UP?!! THAT MEANS MY TWENTY YEAR REUNION IS COMING UP in four years. but still.
    “sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters…”

I’m telling you, the stomach is an optical illusion. It’s all the smoke and mirrors I carry with me. It distracts the eye and disorients the brain, making you THINK I’m skinny.

9. Penelope says:

I’m fairly yoga obsessed and I highly recommend it. It’s done worlds for my shape!

Also, I have no idea why, but I thought you were short!

I’ve tried yoga and liked it, but never stuck with it for some reason – probably because I am NOT flexible! And nope, good heavens, I am NOT short!