Look! A Poll!

So, SYNTHESIS and I are alllllmost to the end of this Revision Rodeo. Well, I say “almost.” What I really mean is, I can see the light. Sort of. It’s like looking through a keyhole, but hey, I can see it.

My next project, RIVEN, is a dystopian YA novel. I haven’t worked on it at all except to do some preliminary outlining; I’m still in the brainstorming phase. And the other day as I was running (okay, ambling) around the track at our gym, I started thinking about how I’ve never tried to write a dystopian novel. And then I started thinking about how badly a dystopian novel could backfire on me if I didn’t do it well enough.

And then I thought: I wonder if people still like dystopian, or if it’s been done to death and everyone is sick of it?

Not that I’m writing to please everyone else, mind you. But I am curious. What are your feelings on the various YA sub-genres? Why don’t you take the poll below and tell me? You can pick TWO of them (because one is basically impossible, if you’re anything like me).

(Keep in mind that genres are slippery little creatures and books often fall into more than one genre. I’ve given you some examples, but please don’t judge me on which books I classified as what.)

[poll id=”2″]

Thanks for voting! And as always, if you have more to say on the subject, I’d love to read your comments.

13 thoughts on “Look! A Poll!

1. Melissa Garrett says:

Good luck! I’m not sure I have the courage to actually attempt a dystopian, though I have a semi-solid idea for one. Realistic YA is my favorite, but then it’s a toss between paranormal and dystopian.

You’ll let me read, right?! (please!)

2. Glass Half Full Gal says:

I’ve never been much of one for The Sisterhood Hood’ though, I do like realistic fiction. I don’t totally know about dystopia but you put. ‘Hunger Games’ there and I was aaaaaall over that series. I’ve really got a thing for the paranormal though. 🙂

3. ansley says:

I LOVE The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy….literally LOVE it…..loved Rot and Ruin, Ship Breaker, etc….go for it!

4. Alice says:

I admit I had to look up the definition of dystopia. From what I understand 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 would fall into this genre. Although slightly depressing, I did enjoy both of those books. As long as your book didn’t become required reading I would read it. (I didn’t actually read the other 2 books when I was told to…I waited until college.)

I read 1984 and really liked it. I am ashamed to say I never read Fahrenheit 451, but I think I should.

5. Crystal says:

I want to say that I LOVE Dystopian novels but other than The Hunger Games trilogy I haven’t read anything recently that made me go “OHMIGOD THIS IS AH-MAZING!”

Sure, I’ve read books recently that had fantastic writing but the plot/story just didn’t grab me. I think if it’s done well where both the story and writing are present then you can never have too much Dystopian.

I’m a BIG fan of Contemporary YA and am still finding myself with various Paranormal books in front of me.

With that said, I DO plan on reading Carrie Ryan’s books soon.

6. Alicia says:

Awwww, I loved A Wrinkle in Time! I’m so glad you brought that one up, I had all but forgotten about it.