Looking On The Bright Side

Okay. I’m not heartless.

Really, I’m not.

But it’s been a week now, and this whole missing cat episode? Has worn me down to the point that I’ve actually realized it might be for the best. No, she hasn’t come home, and in spite of everyone’s encouragement that cats come home after ridiculous amounts of time, etc. I just don’t think you guys understand how persnickety this particular feline is.

Peach Riley likes her down-home comforts, y’all. She’s not one to give up lounging at the foot of our bed / eating at her leisure / using her litter box instead of that COMPLETELY unacceptable mulch under the rose bushes.

In fact, on the Feline Persnicketiness Scale, Peach comes in a close second to the cat I had growing up who picked up tiny bits of her food WITH HER FINGERS (because yes, she really had fingers that functioned like a person’s, no lie) and would place each tiny cat food bite delicately into her mouth.

Close second, I said. Peach isn’t that bad.

Anyway, I’ve decided to look on the bright side of Peach’s disappearance. Here are the pros I’ve come up with:

1) It’s entirely possible that Peach would have injured or killed my baby, so God just decided to get rid of her now.

2) Flea medication? Is expensive. And she got really vicious whenever we had to put it on her. Seriously, it took both my husband and I to do it successfully, and she still almost tore our hands off.

No, really.

3) Nobody likes scooping a litter box.

4) Vacuuming has become much less disturbing. (As in, “Oh my heavens I just vacuumed last week, how is it possible there’s that much cat hair on the floor?!”)

5) Whenever I sit down to write, there will no longer be a needy animal crying for attention. (Although, in her place will be a needy baby crying for attention. But I’ve got lots more patience for a baby than for a cat.)

Now, I will say, there is ONE more place to look for her. I noticed this in our carย the other day and thought, nah, that’s too obvious.

I pushed that button. It did not produce a cat. Oh well.

And now, on a completely different topic: I SENT SYNTHESIS TO MY AGENT TODAY!!! Which means she’ll read through it and send it back to me with edits and then I’ll revise it some more and then hopefully we can get it out on submission before I have this baby!!!

*deep breath*

Ohmygosh I’m so excited!

11 thoughts on “Looking On The Bright Side

1. Raquel Byrnes says:

Oh dear, so sorry about your cat. My daughter’s cat Chocolate “found a nice farm” a few years ago…more like found his way to a cayote’s lunch menu, but that’s just splitting hairs.

Congratulations on finishing your book and I hope the edits aren’t too much. Bleh! Have a great week!

Edge of Your Seat Romance

Katie: Thank you! And I just remembered you were going to beta read for me… better email you in a second.

Raquel: Peach may have had a run in with coyotes or something similar, too. Who knows? All kinda things lurk in them thar hills. And thank you – I hope the edits aren’t too much, too!

Heather: It does suck. But, thank you!

Dean: Thanks so much!

3. Elle Strauss says:

So sorry to hear about your missing cat. We’ve had a couple of those sad stories ourselves. But with a new baby coming along and a book out on submission (!) you’ll be busy enough. Congrats on both the baby and the book!

Elle: So true. I really think it might work out for the best, in spite of the fact that I would like my cat back. Thank you!

5. Talei Loto says:

Anne,

Congrats on your baby! Fantastic!! And good luck with your manuscript, how wonderful! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m sorry about Peaches, but it reminds me of the only cat I ever really owned. He disappeared for a long time and ended up at the neighbours, a lonely old lady who had started feeding him – so I guess he decided to stay there. *whispers* I was not a happy girl but I let him go, the old dear needed him more. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Needless to say I’m a definitely a dog person now. LOL.

Talei: Aw, that was sweet of you to let her keep him. Maybe Peach is keeping an old lady company… or biting her.

Hannah: My happy dance is pretty funny right now, with the belly and all. But I’ll do one!

7. Tessa Quin says:

I’m so sorry about fluffy little Peach. I’m glad you’re trying to see the bright side of things. If you really miss having a pet around, I’d recommend a hamster. They’re very low maintenance, and it’s amazing how much enjoyment a tiny little pet like that can give a person (I just got one roughly 3 months ago – the normal type, not the dwarf type. She hasn’t bitten anyone yet – even though my three year olds are not as gentle handling her as I am).