Okay. I’m not heartless.
Really, I’m not.
But it’s been a week now, and this whole missing cat episode? Has worn me down to the point that I’ve actually realized it might be for the best. No, she hasn’t come home, and in spite of everyone’s encouragement that cats come home after ridiculous amounts of time, etc. I just don’t think you guys understand how persnickety this particular feline is.
Peach Riley likes her down-home comforts, y’all. She’s not one to give up lounging at the foot of our bed / eating at her leisure / using her litter box instead of that COMPLETELY unacceptable mulch under the rose bushes.
In fact, on the Feline Persnicketiness Scale, Peach comes in a close second to the cat I had growing up who picked up tiny bits of her food WITH HER FINGERS (because yes, she really had fingers that functioned like a person’s, no lie) and would place each tiny cat food bite delicately into her mouth.
Close second, I said. Peach isn’t that bad.
Anyway, I’ve decided to look on the bright side of Peach’s disappearance. Here are the pros I’ve come up with:
1) It’s entirely possible that Peach would have injured or killed my baby, so God just decided to get rid of her now.
2) Flea medication? Is expensive. And she got really vicious whenever we had to put it on her. Seriously, it took both my husband and I to do it successfully, and she still almost tore our hands off.
3) Nobody likes scooping a litter box.
4) Vacuuming has become much less disturbing. (As in, “Oh my heavens I just vacuumed last week, how is it possible there’s that much cat hair on the floor?!”)
5) Whenever I sit down to write, there will no longer be a needy animal crying for attention. (Although, in her place will be a needy baby crying for attention. But I’ve got lots more patience for a baby than for a cat.)
Now, I will say, there is ONE more place to look for her. I noticed this in our car the other day and thought, nah, that’s too obvious.
I pushed that button. It did not produce a cat. Oh well.
And now, on a completely different topic: I SENT SYNTHESIS TO MY AGENT TODAY!!! Which means she’ll read through it and send it back to me with edits and then I’ll revise it some more and then hopefully we can get it out on submission before I have this baby!!!
Ohmygosh I’m so excited!