Good morning, lovely Readers! How is everyone today? I hope you’re doing great, but even if you’re not, let me assure you that your day is about to get a lot more interesting.
The contest, which I have officially named the AKA Flash Fiction Contest (that’s AKA for Anne, Kristy, and Anna, just in case that wasn’t clear) is exactly what its name says: a flash fiction contest.
If you’re not familiar with flash fiction, it’s basically like writing a short story, only shorter. The word count limit for flash fiction varies according to who you ask, so for the purpose of this contest, we’re going to limit it to 500 words.
So, what will you write about? Well. Do you remember those random nouns, verbs, and adjectives you left on my blog the other day? This is where they come into play.
Anna, Kristy, and I have used those words to come up with one writing prompt each. (You can find mine at the bottom of this post, and Anna’s and Kristy’s can be found on their blogs.) Your job is to choose your favorite prompt and write a piece of flash fiction based around those words or ideas.
Here are the basic rules for entering the contest (and then we’ll talk about prizes!):
- You must “follow” my blog, Kristy’s blog, and Anna’s blog to be eligible! Use the button that says “Join This Site” or “Follow” in the sidebar of each blog and make your picture pop up in the box. (Update: If you can’t follow one of the blogs for some reason, just do it later. We’ve had some tech problems cropping up.)
- The contest is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only.
- Please limit your entry to 500 words.
- Be sure to incorporate all three elements of the prompt you have chosen.
- The contest opens at 12:01am August 1 and ends at midnight on August 31, Central Standard Time.
- Winners will be announced within the first week of September.
- Please send all entries as an attachment to AKAFlashFictionContest@gmail.com, and be sure to include your full name, email address, blog address, Twitter name, and anything else we can promote if you win.
Now, let’s talk about prizes. Here’s what you can win:
- Kristy, Anna, and I will each pick our favorite entry for a total of three winners.
- We will post the entry we’ve chosen on our blogs and link to you and sing your praises to everyone who passes by. If you send us a pretty picture of yourself, we’ll post that, too.
- You’ll also get a Super Fabulous Prize Package in the mail from whichever one of us picked you as our favorite entry. The Prize Package will be different for everyone, but I will say that mine will probably contain an ARC of HALO, and one of the other ones might contain a signed copy of another YA book… seriously, you want to win.
Okay! So here is my prompt:
ENVELOPE – RUNNING – CHILLY