The Moment Of Truth

Alright, peeps. It’s that time. And by “that time” I specifically mean 5:00 pm CST, the end of the first ever Writer’s Duel.

I began yesterday with a word count of 21,723.

I ended today with a word count of 28,403.

For a grand total of 6,680 words!

I’m pretty proud of that, actually, considering the distractions I had to deal with this weekend. I mean, aside from the obvious distraction of firecrackers going off in the neighborhood and the army base behind our house firing something that sounded like canons, there was also a game of Monopoly during which my husband thought he was rubbing my foot under the table but was actually rubbing his friend’s (his excuse was that it felt just like my foot, so apparently my feet are large and a little hairy [you can imagine how many brownie points this did NOT earn him]).

And then we came to my in-laws house, and they just got the most adorable kitten in the entire world who loves to snuggle and also thinks my necklace is the greatest toy EVER.

But I pushed through and wrote 6,680 words!

Now for the part that makes me nervous: Did anyone beat me? Am I going to have to post an embarrassing picture of myself from junior high, or have I escaped humiliation for the time being?

Leave your word count in the comments! I can’t wait to see how everyone did!

13 thoughts on “The Moment Of Truth

1. Denise Grover Swank says:

Well, you beat me and I thought I had really well. Started with 12,111 and ended with 16,304, for a total of: 4193. I would have written more if I hadn’t spent the last 3 hours getting ready for the shindig I’m hosting.

But there’s always tonight after the kids go to bed!

2. Dawn Embers says:

Wow. That is so awesome! Great job. I um, wrote 666 words yesterday and haven’t counted the few paragraphs I’ve written today. I prefer to write at night so, haven’t done much yet today. So, I’ll write more tonight but this has been fun. Yay for you and your awesome writing! ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. anna says:

Well look at you! That picture must have been BAD ๐Ÿ˜‰ I started out at 23,031 and ended at 27,551… Which puts me at 4520. So close, yet so far away!

Looks like I owe you an embarrassing picture! I’ll have it up on my blog within the week ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Dana Elmendorf says:

I AM A ROCK STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the grace of the writing muse gods and the dedication of my hubby as a father,I started at 64,111 and finished at 71,534. That’s 7423 words!

Yeah baby!

Whip it out!

Let’s see that PHOTO!

*totally rubbing it in because it will never happen again*

Muah! XXOO’s Riley

5. melissa says:

I started with 39,709 and ended up with 40,440. A measly 731 words! Darn BBQ food and fireworks getting in the way!!!!

Awesome job on your word count, though!

M: Hey, you be proud of that 100 and something words! It’s progress, right?

Denise: Hmmm, you did give me a run for my money, though. And you DID do really well. I didn’t have any parties to host, even though there were kittens and board games.

Dawn: Nice progress! We’ll do this again soon, for sure.

Anna: Nice! And actually, the beauty of the Writer’s Duel is that you don’t *have* to post a picture. Unless you WANT to. Although I would LOVE to see this, so I don’t know why I’m reminding you that you have an out… pretend I never said any of this.

Dana: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Oh, alright. You deserve it, girl, good GRIEF! Well done!!

Melissa: It’s totally my fault for picking the worst weekend ever to hold a challenge. Next time, I’ll be sure and do a Duel on Christmas Eve or something.

8. Kristie Cook says:

Congrats to all of you! I didn’t officially participate, but I did get about 1,300 words done. Not great, but considering my recent track record, pretty good.

Looking forward to the next challenge, Anne! And, uh, when do we get to see that pic? ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. HeatherM says:

I am impressed and totally humbled by both you and Dana! Wow, you ladies rock! Congrats to everyone who got a positive word count this weekend! Myself, I got over 3,000 words written. I’m pretty happy with that. It feels like my novel is finally moving forward. Thank you for giving me that push!