And Now, My Public Humiliation In The Form Of A Photograph

Okay… I’ve got the picture ready to post.

BUT.

Before I do, let me say this: You guys? You ROCK. I can’t say thank you enough for the kind words you left here yesterday. It’s so great to have a support system like that from people who actually know what it’s like. Really. I’m bad with thank-you’s, but I do appreciate it SO MUCH.

I also learned yesterday that not everyone likes it when you have a bad day and share it on your blog. So to anyone who expected me to be happy and cheerful all the time, even in the face of serious disappointment, I do apologize. That’s just not how I’m wired. The point of telling you about my rejection yesterday was to do just that – tell you about it. I wasn’t trying to whine or get on anyone’s nerves. I do realize how far I’ve come, and I’m thankful for it. I, for one, really appreciate it when people share their hardships with the rest of us. It makes them seem like real people, and that’s what I want to be to you. A real person. And real people don’t always have good days.

But you know what? Your day is about to get better.

Because it’s time to make good on the deal I cut last week.

Because the lovely and talented Dana beat my word count (she wrote over 7,000 words in 33 hours, so yeah, she pretty much dominated me) I’m now obligated to post an embarrassing picture of myself from junior high. Well, I said it would be junior high, but to be honest I think I’m a little younger in this one – maybe ten? Either way, I think you’ll be perfectly satisfied.

Ready?

No, really. Are you ready for this?

Well, alright. Here you go.

Now, let me explain. This was some kind of “Dress Like an Explorer” day at school. I don’t know who I’m supposed to be in this picture or why I’m holding a fake apple (or where I got those shoes) but, apparently, this was my costume.

Allow me to draw your attention to the ENORMOUS gold-rimmed glasses (thank you, whoever invented contacts) (and also whoever invented glasses that aren’t hideous).

I would also like to point out my legs (yes, I do have two of them, despite what it looks like) which are roughly the same width as a toothpick.

So there you have it.

Now, there are PLENTY more pictures that are just as humiliating, if not more so, as this one. I’m thinking right now of one from my 5th grade trip to Washington, D.C. where I’m wearing a multicolored neon windsuit and a yellow fanny pack. That one might be the prize for the next Writer’s Duel, if I can find it.

So what do you think? Anyone up for another Writer’s Duel, maybe next month? Maybe a week long one this time instead of just a weekend?

I can’t believe that picture has just been unleashed on the internet. Please don’t stop speaking to me.

13 thoughts on “And Now, My Public Humiliation In The Form Of A Photograph

1. Dana Elmendorf says:

That is awful. Explorer Day? I would have guessed, Artist Day. And those gold rim glasses, I had the same pair too. As a matter of fact, the 7th grade year is the ONLY school photo I have a photo of me with those glasses and a lavender sleeveless sweater. I hate the picture so much that I have pretty much destroyed everyone in existence I could get my hands on.

I loved the Duel, it really got me so close to the end of my story. Now if I can just get through this scene that’s giving me so much trouble. Argh!

Thanks for sharing. I’d love to do a duel, just let me know.

BTW…stop apologizing for yesterday’s post. It did not come off as whiny or complainy. Your heart sunk and you wanted to share. Period. I think you shared your rejection in a honest but professional way. I’ve seen some whiners out there that take the cake. Keep moving forward.

2. Sarah Enni says:

Aw! That is a cute picture! (I say this as someone who had equally huge, equally round glasses that I wore until apprx 9th grade)

And pshaw to all the peeps not supportive of your post yesterday. The point of being a part of the blogging community is to provide support, share exciting news and yes, share the downside(s) of writing. Posts like the one you had yesterday are what keep the blogging community from being a unicorns and rainbows self-perpetuating PR fest. So really, we should be saying THANK YOU for sharing your frustrations.

The duel was a stroke of genius and I really hope you do it again, when I don’t have family in town!

Hahaha! We had “Declaration of Independence signing day” in 5th grade, and also “Boston Tea Party day” (they might have been the same day, now that I think about it) so I know there’s a picture of me dressed up similarly hiding SOMEWHERE in an old box. Hopefully in a storage unit, that perhaps will catch on fire in the near future.

I like it when people who are farther in the writing dream than I am (or even other unagented aspirings like me) share disappointments or frustrations the way you did yesterday. It lets me see that everyone is human, that in a way even those people who are farther than me are still LIKE me in some way, or we still have shared experiences.

4. HeatherM says:

That picture was awesome! You are a trooper for sticking to your deal on that one! Thanks for the challenge. It was a lot of fun and it kicked me back into writing gear. I needed that desperately. As for talking about rejection, that’s what we’re here for. I’m not sure who was disapointed by it but the writers community is all about sharing the ups AND downs. So I say share away.

Anna: Next month will totally happen! I’m already excited! Oh, and I can’t wait to see you tonight!

Dana: You MUST find another copy of that picture and send it to me. Oh… oh the pain and horror… I have so many pictures like that, you can’t even imagine.

Sarah: HA! “Rainbows and unicorns self-perpetuating PR fest” – man, that is PERFECT! You should trademark that phrase or something!

Alexandra: I’m the same way. I like to hear published authors talk about the frustrations of where they are in the process, too. It just brings us closer together, I think. Oh, and please find that picture and send it to me!

Heather: Thanks! I liked the challenge, too. Can’t wait to do it again!

7. Amanda J. says:

LOL That’s a lovely photo. 🙂

I don’t take good pictures very often so almost every one I have of me would be embarrassing. But I agree with Anna and Sarah, it’s a cute picture!

8. EJ says:

Your picture is classic! Ah, memories…

Just popping over to let you know I gave you an award over on my blog. 🙂

Amanda: You are too kind. No, really.

EJ: Aw thanks hon! I’ll check it out ASAP!

Rebecca: Yeah, most of y’all aren’t quite as foolish as I am when it comes to posting embarrassing things. More power to ya.

Jan: Oh, I was enthusiastic, alright.