A Shift In Perspective

Something has changed inside me lately, and I don’t mean the 2-inch long human being, although he/she does have quite a bit to do with it.

The change is this: If I never get published, that’s okay.

Up until about two months ago, I never would have said that. I never could have said that, because I didn’t mean it. “No, as a matter of fact, it will not be okay if I don’t get published!” was my response to that very idea. But then again, I’ve been quite a go-getter for the better part of my adult life so far. And by “go-getter” I really mean “control freak when it comes to my own life and what I think I want and/or need.”

Is it still seriously awesome that I haveย a literary agent? Absolutely.

Do I still hope that The Clearing will one day be printed and bound and appear on a bookshelf? Of course.

Is it okay if it never gets there? …………….Yeah. It really is. And I think it’s taken this life-changing event to teach me that. No, I don’t want to quit writing, and I won’t. I’ll still do everything I can to become a published author.

But if that doesn’t happen for me as quickly as I’d like, or if it doesn’t happen at all, that’s okay. I’ve got a lot more going for me than that. So I think what I’ll do is just write what I want to write, and if it goes somewhere, fabulous. If it doesn’t, whatever.

*breathes huge sigh of relief*

9 thoughts on “A Shift In Perspective

1. Brianna Inskeep says:

I think that is the most healthy attitude a writer can have, because if you don’t have that attitude, you may very well make yourself miserable and become obsessive about publishing. I admit, I’m still on the fence. One one side, I must be published or I will never have validation. One the other side, there is life without publication and I’m ok. I’m ok sitting on the fence for now, but maybe one day I, too, can say, “It’s fine if I never get published.” Nice post ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Dawn Embers says:

That is a good mindset to go into. Not letting something, that to be honest isn’t in your complete control, take over. It’s not the most positive result, but sometimes it’s good to be a little realistic.

When I started I was all, must get published, even though I had nothing ready and didn’t know what to even do to submit. Now, with the realization of what I write and the fact that I may be a bit stubborn over certain details because they just can’t be changed, I’ve also decided that it’s okay if it doesn’t get published. I’ll try but if it doesn’t happen then that’s okay too. I still will have written them for me first and that’s good enough.

Good luck to you and hope all goes well.

3. Eric Trant says:

Ah, welcome to the club, Anne!

Yes, welcome to the baby-in-your-belly club — my wife is pregnant, too!

But also welcome to the write-first-for-yourself club. That’s my motto. I love what I write. What else matters?

But, I’ll add this: You, Anne Riley, ARE a published author.

You have a loyal fanbase of online readers. Published and commercial authors have more blog fans, sure, but those fans ~want~ something from said published author.

They want contacts. Agents. Plugs. PUBLICATION!

I want nothing at all from Anne Riley. Nothing. If you never plug my website, big eff, big en, big deal.

Your other bloggotites want nothing from you, either.

We simply like your posts. We like your words. We are fans of yours, and check periodically to see what latest musings Anne Riley has over at her website.

That, my dear, makes you a published author with a niche readership. You have more fans on this site than most “published” authors can claim paying readers.

That’s true, you know.

So. Congratulations! Both on that wonderful parasite in your belly, and on your collection of loyal readers.

– Eric

4. Jemi Fraser says:

That’s a healthy attitude. I think some people put far too much pressure on themselves to have things happen in a certain way at a cerain time. I try really hard to only stay focused on the next step. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Lorel says:

Congratulations!
    And you will be published someday. As Bon Jovi says (yes I quote rock lyrics like Shakespeare), “You can’t win until you’re not afraid to lose.”

LOL – you guys are great! Thanks for the kind words. I’m lucky to have such great readers!

7. Penelope says:

You’re awesome!!

My guess is that you’ll be both an AMAZING mother and a published author, both before you know it! ๐Ÿ™‚