Ah, 4th Quarter

I rarely blog about my job, but today it seems unavoidable. The end of the school year is so close, I can almost touch it. And you know what that means? It means my motivation to do things like iron my clothes, make my lunch, leave the house on time, etc. has pretty much been ground down to a nub. To underline this point, I’m going to compare and contrast my daily routine from first quarter (August – October) to fourth quarter (March – May).

How I get ready for work during first quarter:

• Wake up at 5:45.
  • Jump in and out of shower, taking less than 10 minutes.
  • Drink coffee and read for about 15 minutes.
  • Get dressed in clothes I ironed and picked out last night.
  • Dry hair, put on makeup, get ready-made lunch out of fridge.
  • Eat good breakfast consisting of fruit, whole-wheat toast, or yogurt.
  • Kiss husband goodbye.
  • Out the door no later than 7:10.
  • Get to school with plenty of time to review class plans and maybe talk with other teachers.

How I get ready for work during fourth quarter:

• Alarm goes off at 6:00 because, somehow, this is much better than 5:45.
  • Stand in shower and stare at the wall for 10 minutes before I even start washing my hair. Cramp husband’s style because he needs to take a shower, too.
  • Lie on couch in bathrobe for a minimum of thirty minutes. No reading. Just staring into space.
  • Finally drag myself into the bathroom at around 5 till 7. Pull something semi-clean out of the closet and put it on. If it has wrinkles, it’s not an option because clearly, ironing is no longer an option.
  • Stare at myself in mirror and debate whether or not to dry my hair. Decide to let it dry in the car and wad it up in a messy bun once I get to school.
  • Wipe some tinted moisturizer on my face and call it makeup.
  • Ask husband to make me some toast for breakfast.
  • Finally launch myself out the door at 7:20. I have no lunch, which means I have to face cafeteria food. Eat my breakfast in the car as I drive and get crumbs all over myself.
  • Stagger into the building and pray I make it through the day.

So, how is spring fever affecting you? I can’t be the only one!

8 thoughts on “Ah, 4th Quarter

1. The Alliterative Allomorph says:

You sound like me when I had an office job. But I was like that all year round. Luckily I work from home now and the staring at the wall thing isn’t too far away from staring at the computer screen. 🙂

2. Heather says:

I can see how your job would definitely put the fever in spring fever! As for me, it’s a good thing. I get to run or walk outside instead of on a treadmill and that always helps to clear my head and wake my muse up! Here’s hoping the ‘fever’ is short lived for you! 🙂

3. Natalie says:

This is why i’m so excited to get married and live in Hoover instead of Helena. If I leave any later than 7, I will not make it to work before 8:05.

This is also why I am a night showerer. That morning stuff is for the birds!

4. Carolina Valdez Miller says:

Haha! I was a 4th quarter kind of person my entire teaching career. Although, admittedly, even then I still was dressed better than some of my college students who sometimes came to school in pajamas or looking like they’d spent the night doing a kegger headstand. Still, I have no idea how to be a 1st quarter type of person. I might be able to pull it off every now and again, but a daily basis? Impossible. I think you guys have some sort of superpower or something. Perhaps every 4th quarter someone brings kryptonite into your school? I would look into it. It’s totally feasible.

Hahaha that’s what it’s like for me, too. At the beginning of fall quarter, I’m like yeah! I’m gonna do all my reading and look nice for class and study really hard! By spring quarter (now) if I even brush my hair it’s a total miracle.

This is why I don’t have class earlier than 11 this quarter 😉

6. krista says:

Oh man, I’m feeling your 4th quarter pain. There’s just something about the last six or seven weeks after Spring Break that is utterly unbearable! I keep getting to school later and later and later!

Here’s to summer vacation coming sooner, than later!