A Blogging Fiend

I don’t usually blog every day, but I’ve noticed that for the past few days, that’s exactly what I’ve done. Is it because I’ve suddenly found my motivation (who, you may remember, skipped town for a while) and gotten all ambitious and progressive?

Not likely.

A more reasonable explanation is that I just have a lot on my mind. Sure, there were the blogfests this weekend, so that helped, too. But I’m still very mentally preoccupied.

I’ve picked up various snippets of information on Twitter and agent blogs that has alerted me to the fact that the publishing industry is struggling right now. Have you picked up on this, too? What exactly is going on? Why are things so difficult for the publishing house peeps right now?

And, more importantly, why are they not clamoring to publish MY book?

After the Rejection Rodeo I found myself in the middle of a couple weeks ago, I’m starting to wonder how all this is going to turn out. If I wrote a YA paranormal novelย – which, just in case you didn’t know, is a supremely saturated market – and my agent is having a hard time getting it sold because the industry is struggling for some reason, what does that mean? Does it mean this isn’t going to happen? Does it mean I’ll end up scrapping The Clearing entirely and starting over?

I’m not whining, really. I’m not. I’m just confused. Why is it so hard to sell books right now? Do the publishers not have any money? How is that possible?

Have y’all heard anything, or is this brand new information to you?

25 thoughts on “A Blogging Fiend

1. K.J Swint says:

I don’t think that they are struggling like we think they are. If they were, then why are they publishing all the books that I keep seeing on the shelf?

Don’t get me wrong, I think everyone has had some hard times through this financial crisis that we experienced, but during hard times, people want to feel safe. They want to be comforted. The one thing that they can always count on is a good book and books don’t cost too much for anyone who is feeling a downturn in the financial area to purchase.

I say to you Anne Riley, keep pushing, and keep striving. Someone will take your talent at face value and within a blink of an eye; you will be on the best sellers list. I say this to you because you are passionate about writing. You are passionate about getting your work out to people to enjoy. And everyone wants to enjoy a good book. But more overly, they want to enjoy a GREAT book from a passionate author and that’s you!

2. Eric Trant says:

My publisher just made it through 2009, but barely.

I think, though, that too many authors lose sight of why they write. I’ll tell you right now: I don’t write for the money.

I don’t write for the publishers.

I don’t write hoping I’ll be famous or rich or land a 3D movie contract.

I write because I love to write. I write things that ~mean something~ to me.

I don’t write fluff. I don’t add fodder to meet someone’s freaking word-count.

Sure, I want folks to read it. Sure, I’d write for hire, if someone offered, and if the project was interesting.

But I’ll tell you this: after they’re finished with MY work, the reader, the publisher, the editor and the graphic artist will all be just a little bit different than when they started.

Anne, I’ve been writing seriously for over ten years, almost daily. I have a mountain of work that I’ve sent to my friends and family, printed out and re-read for myself, stuff I share openly with those I meet and with those closest to me. Stuff I read to my children and my wife.

I can’t tell you how much I’ve posted online. Millions of words.

Then, last year, for grits and shiggles, and because so many people said I should do it, I submitted a short story. Just one, to a guy I found here in Dallas who sounded like he possessed a similar heart as mine.

Accepted.

You have more, he asked.

Sure. I sent more. Another published.

Send me your latest book.

Here it is. Here are two, in fact. Read em, don’t read em, take one or the other or both or neither. I just hope you like the read.

I said that to him, literally and verbatim.

That’s why I write. Maybe I’ll make some money. Maybe my publisher will stay in business. Maybe I’ll change someone’s life.

I will say that I’m in a short story anthology with 16 other authors, and I’ve personally sold more books than any of them.

Why?

Because I don’t write to be published, and that’s exactly why people read it.

As for publishers in trouble, my guess is they don’t share my opinion, and this probably explains why I’m not with them.

– Eric

Allomorph: Yeah, I sort of get the same feeling from some people. I wonder if that has a lot to do with it?

Eric: Very interesting. Unforunately, my goal is to be widely published. Maybe that’s not very noble, but it’s the truth. I do enjoy writing, but – my ultimate goal is to make a career out of this. Good luck with your own work!

5. Heather says:

I just got a glowing rejection from an editor who really enjoyed my book but said it was too commercial for them. She said she was confident that someone else would snatch it up soon though. That was both encouraging and discouraging at the same time. The market is tough to be sure. We just have to stay positive and wait for the right editor. They’re out there, for both me and you Anne, it’s just a matter of getting our books in their hands. Keep smiling and writing!

6. Carolina Valdez Miller says:

Oh hon, I’m so sorry. This has been such a difficult journey for you. I don’t even know what to say. I know it’s a flooded market right now, but it doesn’t make the sting of it any less. I’m sending mega positive thoughts your way. I wish you the very best and hope that you will see The Clearing published (in part because I truly want to just READ it already!!). Perhaps now is just not the right timing? I have a strong feeling there’s a space for the Clearing, not even having read it. I think it’s just a matter of timing.

But I’ll start spreading the word for people to stop writing YA paranormals already!! (this coming from the writer of a YA paranormal…ha…*sigh)

Big hugs, sweetie.

7. Eric Trant says:

Anne, I never said wanting to be published wasn’t noble, nor is it unreasonable to want to make a career of writing. I understand fully this isn’t a hobby for you or the publishers.

Nor is it for me. I want to be published, but I’m happy just to know I did something most people only dream of doing.

I guess my point was this: There’s satisfaction in just knowing you wrote and completed something wonderful, market bedamned.

I took the long way around Africa to say it, but well, there it is.

– Eric

Heather: I have heard really similar things from editors who are reading my stuff. You’re right – it’s encouraging and crushing at the same time! Hang in there…

Carol: As I was writing this post, I remembered something you wrote where you were convinced your book was awful because you had seen something similar to it. That happens to me all the time! Thanks for the sweet words.

Eric: Ha! No, I knew what you meant. I wish, though, that I was one of those people who could just do this “for fun” for the rest of my life, you know what I mean? But I’m not. You’re right though – it is nice to be a writer, regardless of what happens with it!

11. Raquel Byrnes says:

The love of writing makes me crazy sometimes. Why do I do something that invited others to bruise my ego? I hope you get some good news soon. Loved the Bar Scene Haiku. Hope you participate in the Primal Scream Blogfest I’m hosting.

12. Mary Katherine Calderini says:

Sometimes when I’m in a bad or stressful situation I like to think of the time after it’s over. Like if I have a big test I imagine the time after I’ve taken it and I get to relax, or if I’m sick I imagine when I’m well and can do things again. Think of this time as part of the story you will tell people after your book gets published. Just keep focusing on the end goal. I know it will happen. Sometimes it helps to focus on the good to come instead of the bad now. Anyway, that’s my two cents. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Jemi Fraser says:

Waiting for the right person/team to snatch up your book is hard. I think most industries are having a difficult time at the moment. The economy is still volatile and people are nervous about taking chances. It’s not going to last. I’m sure you’ll have great news soon ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Julie Dao says:

Hang in there, Anne! It is really too bad that the market is so completely dominated by YA paranormal romances, especially when we don’t write that genre! But the good thing is, trends wax and wane so you never know when yours will be the next thing in style. Keep going and good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Hannah says:

Working in a bookstore for 11+ years, you realize the market goes up and down. Ereaders are definitely slowing the paper book market but I’m sure it will pass…it always has before. *fingers crossed* ๐Ÿ™‚