Scattered, Unconnected Thoughts For Today

Um, before I begin, please feel free to not read this post if you’re not a fan of inconsistency, because man, this is gonna be all over the place. I’ve got a lot on my mind, and I’m going to dump it all here and then run away so you’re left with it. Mmkay?

1) Over the weekend, I finished this book. It was everything I thought it could be. I love a good parody, and this one totally delivers. It really isn’t meaty enough for a full book review, but let me just tell you what it says on the back cover:
About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him–which I assumed was wildly out of his control–that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me.
Please read it. It’s only about 150 pages long, and it will make you snort laugh.
2) I’ve been using Moroccan Oil on my hair. And y’all. It is SO GREAT. I’ve never had softer or shinier hair in my life.
You can only get it at certain salons or online, and it costs about $40 a bottle, but WAIT! A bottle will last you at least a year, provided you don’t have yeti hair. So instead of spending $6 or more a month on hair products at Target, you’re spending about $3.34 a month.
And you get to have supermodel hair. Totally worth it. Just don’t use too much, or you’ll look like the cast of Seinfeld in that episode where their apartment complex installed low-flow shower heads.
3) I started writing a new book yesterday! I’m not sure how it’s going, though, so I’m posting my first little bit for y’all to read. Tell me what you think.
I don’t know when I first suspected something was wrong. Maybe it was when all the screens on the seatbacks went out for no reason. Maybe the flight attendants’ overly cheerful expressions triggered a red flag inside my mind. My intuition keeps prickling, sending me signals that we should have landed by now. I look out the tiny window for some kind of reassurance, but there’s a thick carpet of clouds below us and I can’t see anything. For all I know, we flew over Los Angeles an hour ago.

Stop it, I scold myself. You’re being ridiculous. It’s probably just taking longer than usual because of the weather.

I glance back out the window and nearly faint in relief. We’ve passed the clouds, and below us are the lush hills of southern California. I emit a small chuckle of embarrassment. I really need to stop reading so many conspiracy theory books.

I’m about twenty pages into my InStyle magazine when a guy in the fifth row shouts something. Everyone ignores him because, hey, there’s a lunatic on every plane.

But then he shouts louder, and this time I understand what he says.

“Hey!” he cries. “Why aren’t we landing?”

Everyone in a window seat plasters their face to the Plexiglas. The whine of the engines hits a higher pitch and the plane accelerates. For five seconds, there is absolute silence.

Then, as we all process the stretch of Pacific Ocean zooming away beneath us: Chaos.

Obviously this is a first draft, but… initial reactions? I would love to hear what you think!

23 thoughts on “Scattered, Unconnected Thoughts For Today

1. Tiffany Neal says:

I absolutely loved the back of that Nightlight book. I picked it up at B&N; and way dying laughing. Especially at the gynecologically part. 🙂

I must try the Moroccan stuff. Can't get enough hair products!

And. O.M.G! LOVE the new WIP! It had me hooked and I am dying for more!! Great work…can't wait to see more!

2. Jen says:

I love how you are inconsistent!!! My favorite kind of posts!!!

I loved your little snippet! My favorite part was when you said "Everyone ignores him because, hey, there’s a lunatic on every plane." it was brilliant, I like the MC personality!!

Oh and thanks for the comment on Tuesday Twist, the third synopsis is my book and I wanted to see how my description was viewed, so I appreciate the feedback!!! Want to be more engrossed, that's something I can work on!

3. Heather says:

Wow! Loving the sound of this work in progress! Keep at it, it sounds like it's going to be a really good one. Moroccan oil huh? I went red a year ago and my poor hair hasn't recovered yet from going back to my natural blond. I might try that!

4. Rhonda says:

Glad to hear a recommendation from someone who has read Nightlight. I keep picking it up and putting it down at the local book store…not sure if it's worth the read or not. 🙂

And the new wip? I'm loving it. Immediately I'm liking the MC and having a mini panic attack about the plane issue…keep writing please!! 🙂

5. Kimberly Franklin says:

I so want to get Nightlite. I'm a Twilight lover and LOVE a good parody!

And that hair oil… ordering. right. now!

The WIP… LOVE IT! Keep working on it. It sounds very, very, very interesting. I would definitely keep reading!

6. Kimberly Franklin says:

Okay, so I totally spelled Nightlight wrong… Opps. LOL. I think there is another Twilight parody out there named Twilite (or something like that)… totally confused today. Of course, that's just about every day. : )

7. Jemi Fraser says:

Nightlight sounds like a riot 🙂

I like your section – makes me wonder what in the world's going to happen next. I feel like I have a good handle on your character already. I like it 🙂

8. Frankie Diane Mallis says:

Oh I bought Nightlight because it was cracking me up in the store but I need to actually sit down and read it! Also, post pictures of your hair, sell it baby. I might want a bottle.

Thanks everyone! Yes, Nightlight really is great – definitely gave me a good laugh! And I do love my oil! Ha ha! Thanks for stopping by, everybody!

10. jason evans says:

It solidly hooked me. I thought it was laid out and paced excellently!

I have to leave it to you to decide if present tense is essential. For me, it always indicates that the immediacy is an essential element of the story. Like in hrillers, for example.

11. Dean from Australia says:

Randomosity is the spice of life! I love it although that moroccan oil…I can't lay my hands on it anywhere!!

And you knocked me out with that opening passage. The tension crept up beautiful and I was like…Wha…is that it!? Not fair!

Thanks everyone! And Dean, if you really want that oil? I can hook a brother up. Ha haaaaa =) Although to be honest, I don't think you need it! …Because your hair is already shiny. (I had to clarify because men always assume I am referring to some type of hair loss when I say they don't need a hair product, when in fact I am not implying any such thing.)

13. laura says:

just going back and reading a few blog posts that i've missed…you are using moroccan oil!! (i constantly, accidentally call it mongolian oil…wonder what my hair would look like if i used that?) still using mine, and i got it almost a year ago, so you are spot on with your estimation. and i'm thinking i need to read that parody…might be right up my alley. see you next week!!!