Ding Ding Ding! Time For Round Two

Alright, friends.

As of one week ago today – that would be Saturday, January 23, 2010 – I finished the enormous task of revising my manuscript yet again.

If you don’t know my story so far, here’s a quick run-down.

January 2009: By the sheer grace and mercy of God, I get an agent.

February – March 2009: Edit manuscript. Double the length of novel. Lots and lots of work. Dreams of The Today Show and what I’ll wear on Regis and Kelly begin filling my mind.

April 2009: Book is approved by agent and goes out to scary, palm-sweat-inducing list of editors. Stop breathing for approximately four months.

May – November 2009: Rejected (albeit encouragingly so) by editors. Regis and Kelly dreams slightly dashed.

December 2009 – January 2010: Work on revisions suggested by encouraging editors. Manuscript undergoes severe, The Swan-like overhaul, emerging after metaphorical reconstructive surgery with tight skin and perfect nose (also metaphorical, obviously). Feel as though have been caught in a whirlpool for two months and am now disoriented and frightened.

January 23, 2010: E-mail sparkling new manuscript to agent. Awaiting evaluation of revisions with heart in mouth.

So anyway, the point is, this will be my second round of submissions to editors. We’ve changed a lot about the way we’re marketing this thing, and I think the changes may really help. See, last time, we were selling The Clearing as book one of a trilogy – so the editors were faced with purchasing not one, but three books by an unknown author. Now, we’re marketing it as a single book with potential for more. Much less of a scary commitment on their end, I think.

My agent is reading through it again and I cannot wait to hear her thoughts. I feel that the writing is much tighter, the storyline moves at a better pace, and I really like the new ending.

So. Will this be it? Will someone want to publish me this time around?

I don’t know, but I promise you one thing: A lot of good will come out of this. You will never see an author in the entire country edit as intensely as I will edit the rest of the season. You will never see someone push the characters in their book as hard as I will push them the rest of the season. You will never see a plot become as polished as my plot will be for the rest of the season. God bless. *struts away from podium to sound of ecstatic cheering fans*

What? NO, I did not steal Tim Tebow’s speech! What?! Why would you even say that?

25 thoughts on “Ding Ding Ding! Time For Round Two

1. Meredith Rae Morgan says:

Good on you, Anne. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I laughed out loud at the riff on Tebow's speech, but you know what: it's totally appropriate and very inspiring in this context as well. I think I may copy it to my "Inspirations" folder.

2. Heather says:

Yes they will buy it! Believe it, know it, make it happen! Sounds like you've done the work and then some, and it sounds like you have an awesome agent who is willing to work hard right alongside you. That my friend, is a recipie for success! It's coming…

3. DL Hammons says:

Do not compare yourself to Tim Tebow! He was a great amateur player in college, all ra-ra and that, but he'll fade fast in the pro's. Thats not what you are after. Think more Peyton Manning!!

You'll do great!

Simon: Thank you thank you thank you. It helps me so much to have all you guys supporting. When your novel goes out for submissions, you better believe I'll be rooting for you as well!

Heather: Thanks for the encouragement. I feel pretty confident about it, but then I find myself hesitating to assume it's a done deal. Positive thinking… positive thinking…

DL: Could I be Brett Favre instead? I know he's a bit of a waffler, but I heart him. (Although, obviously, not as much/in a very different way than I heart my husband.)

7. dhansen says:

just found your blog from a twitter RT. Glad I stopped by. Your recap of your journey is fantastic – I really hope that you knock 'em dead.

Best of luck!

8. Erin Kuhns says:

I just found your blog and I hope you can hear me clapping up here in Canada. I am doing the first rewrite of a book I've written and I know I have a long road ahead of me. But reading about where you're at is inspiring.

Keep working hard no matter what. You have some blog followers that look forward to reading your published book in the near future!

9. Guinevere says:

best of luck! It's really interesting to read about your writing journey so far. I can't wait to read the next installment, when your novel is being published. It sounds like it's only a matter of time now!